Friday 24 February 2012

I hate Lent. No, let me rephrase that, I like lent and the build up to Easter because it reminds me of when I was little and mum made church a compulsory Sunday activity and we got to paint Easter eggs, make Easter gardens, plant flowers, draw spring baby animals, give our mums daffodils on Mothers Day, go out on outings to look for lambs and chickens etcetc. I like the time for being with family, I like how the weather gets a smidge more bearable (unless you live in the UK, in which case, we reach sub-zero temperatures at this time of year),  I like the general feeling of Spring. I don't like what lent has become though. In the past, lent wasn't something that people bragged about, or a time when people would compete with each other to see who could give up the most shocking thing and ultimately how long they'd survive without this 'essential'. I know so many people who try to upstage each other, 'OHMYGOD, GIVEN UP XBOXXXXX, and I'm dying after three hours' orrrr
 'Christ Almighty, given up chocolatecrispscakebiscuitsdrivingshortdistancesbitingmynailstheinternetshoppingfacebook -pause for dramatic breath- oh and alcohol, because I'm rock hard and have the willpower of a boulder'.
Why brag about it? Just give it up already, if you succeed, GO YOU, its something you should be proud of. If not, Hay Ho, there's always next year.
I guess this is something I can't stand within life in general. Over competitiveness and unhealthy rivalry. There's nothing worse than sitting in class, writing something you are tres proud BUZZING off and then realising that that one person who is determined to make you feel rubbish about yourself has already read your answer and is formulating a plan to make you look as stupid and brain dead as plankton. You say one thing. They instantly  
did something that sounds so much better. You bought a new top, they got bought the entire contents of Urban Outfitters just for being them. You ran a new personal best, they completed a marathon in 0.3242 seconds because their father is really Sonic the Hedgehog.
A bit of competition is normal. Who doesn't like winning after all? But it's something else when you feel like you have to better somebody at all times. Just to fuel your own self ego. Well do you know what? Screw them, who wants a Blue Hedgehog as a dad anyway? Stubbles prickly enough thankyou very much.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment